The history of this cross begins in 1861, when the municipal council of Chambéry decides to pierce the avenue du Comte Vert. For that, it is necessary to demolish the chapel of the Black Penitents with its Calvary and its cross.
The prior of the brotherhood, Count Louis de Fernex de Montgex, retired intendant, gives his agreement on condition that the existing cross be moved to a location visible from the Cluse of Chambéry.
The choice of the Nivolet tooth (1547m) is validated by the prefect of the time.
In 1909, a hurricane folds the cross. Another cross of 70 tonnes and 22m in span (current format) is built by the Savoyard company LEON GROSSE.
In 1989, the current cross was repaired and modified following the impact of lightning. All funded by EDF for the 1992 Olympic games.