top of page
The castle of Montmayeur is an old fortified castle from the 12th - 13th century, cradle of the Montmayeur family, center of the lordship of Montmayeur, built in the county in 1449, whose ruins stand in the town of Villard-Sallet.
The castle was altered by Gaspard II, Marshal of Savoie, around 1380-1416, during the general refortification of Savoy. It endows the four angles of the rectangular enclosure with towers. The castle was abandoned at the end of the 15th century, and the towers, due to lack of maintenance, fell into ruins.
The towers and the associated archaeological site are listed as historic monuments by decree of September 19, 1989.
In 1997, the site was integrated into a thematic discovery route: Pierres-forts de Savoie.
Find more information on these sites
bottom of page